China Embassy in U.K.

 Application Procedure and Fee

Ambassador: Mr. Liu Xiaoming
Address: 49 Portland Place, London W1B 1JL, UK
Tel: +44-020-72994049 (General Line) 
Office Hours:  09:00-12:00, 14:00-17:00, Monday-Friday (except British and Chinese Holidays)
Website: http://www.chinese-embassy.org.uk/eng/

Consular Office of Chinese Embassy in UK

Address: 31 Portland Place, London W1B 1QD
Tel: +44-020-76311430 (Answer phone 09:00-12:00, 14:00-16:00)
Fax: +44-020-74369056
Email: zj_uk@mfa.gov.cn
Office Hours: 09:00-12:00 Monday-Friday (except holidays)
The Station Nearby: Great Portland Street Station, Regent's Park Station , Oxford Street Station

Consular Districts of Chinese Embassy/Consulates in UK

Embassy/Consulate General Consular Districts
Embassy of PRC in London Except the consular district of Consulates in Manchester, Edinburgh, other regions are the consular jurisdiction of the Embassy in London.
Consulate General of PRC in Edinburgh Scotland
Consulate General of PRC in Manchester Greater Manchester, Durham, Derbyshire, Lancashire, Merseyside, North Yorkshire, West Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, Tyne and Wear
Consulate General of PRC in Belfast Northern Ireland

Notice for Application at China Visa Application Service Centre (CVASC)

CVASC is responsible for receiving applications to mainland China from all ordinary passport holders who are UK citizens and citizens of other countries. It collects visa fees on behalf of the Embassy and the Consulate General. Currently, there are four branches in London, Manchester, Edinburgh and Belfast. The applicants are required to fill in the application form and then make an online appointment on the CVASC's website before going there in person to submit the application.

For people who apply for Diplomatic/Service/Courtesy Visa, Visa and Enter Permit to Hong Kong/Macao, they still submit their application to the embassy or consulate directly. 

CVASC in London

Office Hours: 09:00-15:00 (Submission); 09:00-16:00 (Payment and Collection), Monday-Friday (except holidays)
Address: 12 Old Jewry, London, EC2R 8DP
Tel: 020-7710 6000
Fax: 020-7710 6001
E-mail: ukcentre@visaforchina.org

CVASC in Manchester

Office Hours: 09:00-15:00 (Submission); 09:00-16:00 (Payment and Collection), Monday-Friday (except holidays)
Address: First Floor, 75 Mosley Street, Manchester, M2 3HR
Tell: 016-1236 1070
Fax: 016-1244 5883
Email: manchestercentre@visaforchina.org

CVASC in Edinburgh

Office Hours: 09:00-15:00 (Submission); 09:00-16:00 (Payment and Collection), Monday-Friday (except holidays)
Address: 2nd Floor, Exchange Tower,19 Canning Street, City of Edinburgh, EH3 8EG
Tel: 0131 2292519     
Fax: 0131 2291598
E-mail:  edinburghcentre@visaforchina.org

CVASC in Belfast

Office Hours: 09:00-15:00 (Submission); 09:00-16:00 (Payment and Collection), Monday-Friday (except holidays)
Address: Chinese Welfare Association, 1 Stranmillis Embankment, Belfast BT7 1GB
Tel: 0131 2292519     
Fax: 0131 2291598
E-mail:  edinburghcentre@visaforchina.org

Major Visa Types & Requirements

Types Purpose
Tourist (L) It is issued for an alien who comes to PRC for sight-seeing.
Business (M) It is issued to those who intend to go there for commercial and trade activities.
Noncommercial Visit (F) It is issued to those who intend to go to China for exchanges, visits, study tours and other activities.
Employment/Work (Z) It is issued for applicants going to PRC for employment or work.
Student (X)

It is issued for an alien who comes to PRC for study.
X1 is for those who plan to stay for more than 6 months, while X2 is issued for short stay.

Private Visit (S) It is issued to family members who intend to visit the foreigners with Work Z or student X in PRC, or to those who intend to go to PRC for other private affairs.
Family Reunion (Q) It is issued to family members of Chinese citizens or foreigners with permanent residence in PRC.
Transit (G) It is issued for applicants going to PRC for transit to another country/region.
Hong Kong SAR & Macao SAR Visas 1. UK citizens are exempt from Hong Kong visa if they go to Hong Kong for visit or sightseeing for less than 180 days.
2. UK citizens are exempt from Macao visa for up to 180 days.

 Procedure for Application at CVASC      Visa Fees
 UK citizens can now apply for a 10-year China visa with multiple entries, if they plan to visit China for the purposes of tourism, commercial or business activities, and short-term family visits. Compared with regular visas, the required documents are the same while the price is higher.

Meanwhile, the 5-year multiple-entry China visa is now also available for UK citizens.

2023 Holiday Schedule of the CVASC in London

Festival Date Day
New Year's Day January 1 - 2 Sunday - Monday
Chinese New Year January 23 - 24 Monday - Tuesday
Good Friday April 7 Friday
Easter Monday April 10 Monday
Bank Holiday May 1 Monday
Bank Holiday May 8 Monday
Bank Holiday May 29 Monday
Bank Holiday August 28 Monday
Mid-Autumn Festival September 29 Friday
Chinese National Day October 2 - 3 Monday - Tuesday
Christmas Day December 25 - 26 Monday - Tuesday
Note: The holiday arrangement of the CVASC may be different. Please log on their official website for detailed holiday notice.

 Please contact Embassy of U.K. in China if British are in problems there. 

 Recommended Tours:
China Tours from UK
China Tour from London UK
China Tour from Manchester UK

 Other Chinese Embassies in Europe: Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belarus
- Last updated on May. 05, 2023 by Brenda Lian -
Questions & Answers on China Embassy in U.K.
Asked by sezin from UNITED KINGDOM | Aug. 11, 2023 07:50Reply
How long is tourist visa for Beijing.
I’m hoping to visit my brother, non Chinese, who lives and works in Beijing.He has permanent residence . Can I apply for a 3 month visa, and stay with him in his house? What exactly needs to be included in a letter of invitation from him?what would constitute kinship and does that have to be included.
Answers (1)
Answered by Emily | Aug. 13, 2023 22:44

You are suggested to apply for a Q2 visa which is issued to family members of foreigners with   Chinese permanent residence. The Q2 visa can have a duration of at most 6 months. Generally, the invitation letter should include
a. Information regarding the applicant, including full name, gender, date of birth, etc.
b. Information about the visit, like purpose of visit, intended arrival date, place(s) of intended residence, intended duration of residence, arrival and departure dates, relation of the applicant to the inviting entity or individual, and financial source for expenditures.
c. Information regarding the inviting individual, including name, contact number, address, official stamp, signature of the inviting individual, etc.

Also, the Photocopy of Foreigner’s Permanent Residence Card in China and passport is needed.
Asked by Alan Newman from UNITED KINGDOM | Jul. 21, 2023 06:24Reply
Covid test requirements
My Wife is a Chinese citizen/passport holder residing in UK. She wishes to return to China on family visit. What Covid tests are required for entry for her
Many thanks
Answers (1)
Answered by Rita | Jul. 23, 2023 19:55

A self-serviced antigen test within 48 hours before landing is fine.
Asked by Xiao Guang Li from UK | Jul. 21, 2023 02:57Reply
Do I need COVID tests before travel to China at end of July 2023?
Please let me know do I need COVID tests before travel to China at end of July? If needed, what tests needed? Please reply asap. Thank you.
Answers (1)
Answered by Fred | Jul. 21, 2023 03:03

Yes, a DIY antigen test within 48 hours is needed.
Asked by SUSSI from UNITED KINGDOM | Jul. 17, 2023 02:50Reply
Covid Test requirements still needed?
Hi, please can someone help. I am flying to HK on Thur with a stopover in Beijing to connect flight to HK. Do I still need to do PCR? or Antigen test? even though I am not leaving the airport? I am boarding my connecting flight to HK

Many thanks
Answers (1)
Answered by Olivia | Jul. 17, 2023 23:15

A DIY Antigen test is required for those arriving in China from overseas. I'm not sure if transit passengers need it or not. But to avoid any troubles, you may do it just for peace of mind.
Asked by Edward from UNITED KINGDOM | Jul. 13, 2023 23:36Reply
British passport holders now only receiving 90 day entry visas with a 30 day restriction
Since the middle of June, British passport holders have only been receiving 90 day entry visas, with a 30 day maximum stay restriction once they land in China.

Would you happen to know why this is, as for the past few years, British passport holders have always received 24 month entry visas, with a 90 day maximum stay permitted per trip.
Answers (1)
Answered by Wendy | Jul. 16, 2023 20:48

It is hard to say, but recently the restriction does become much stricter.
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)